Sex Crime Defense Attorney In Tampa
Sex-related crimes carry the most negative stigma of all offenses. When a person is convicted of a sex crime, they face harsh penalties that can include lifetime inclusion on a sexual offender registry and limitations in where you are allowed to live or work. If you are charged with a sex crime, you need to contact a Tampa sex crime attorney immediately to protect your rights throughout the legal process.
Florida Sex Crimes and Potential Penalties
Depending on the charge, sex crime penalties can range from a short stay in a county jail to a life sentence in a Florida state prison. An experienced sex crime attorney can help you understand what to expect and give advice on how to handle your case.
Common sex crime charges in Tampa and their potential penalties include:
- Statutory rape. The penalty is based on the age of the victim, and can include up to 15 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
- Sexual assault. When an assault is committed against a person over the age of 12 without the use of force or violence, the penalty can be up to 15 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. In cases where the victim is under 12 or the victim is threatened with a deadly weapon, the penalty can be life in prison or even a death sentence.
- Child pornography. Even possessing child pornography is a crime, which can be punished by 5 years in prison for every piece of material you possess. Production or distribution of child pornography can be punished by 15 years in prison.
- Child molestation. This can be punished by anywhere from 15 years to life in prison, depending on the age of the victim.
- Indecent exposure of lewd conduct. Depending on the age of the victim, punishments can range from 5 to 15 years in prison.
- Prostitution or solicitation. Punishments get more severe with each offense. A first offender may spend up to 60 days in jail. A third conviction can result in a sentence of up to 5 years.
Why You Ned to Hire a Tampa Sex Crime Attorney
As a sex crime attorney in Tampa, Ms. Jean-Pierre Coy is intimately familiar with the workings of the Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco County courts. She began her career as a public defender and has taken over 50 cases to trial.
Sex crime penalties can be severe. You need a savvy and compassionate Tampa sex crime attorney on your side to ensure the best possible outcome for you and your family.